THCA stands for tetrahydrocannabinolic acid. This is the element in a cannabis plant that turns into THC when you dry or heat the plant.
THCA crystalline is the solid form of this element. It’s what you get when you isolate THCA from a plant and then form it into a solid rock or crystal.
Why Would You Want to Make THCA Crystalline?
THCA crystals give you a pure cannabis product. They’re typically ground into a fine powder that you can use the same way you use any cannabidiol (CBD) product.
- If you don’t want to get high, you can eat the THCA crystals instead of using CBD oil or tincture.
- If you do want to get high, you can dab, smoke or vape THCA.
How to Make THCA Crystalline
While you can buy THCA crystalline from cannabis sellers, some people find it helpful to make their own at home.
1. Begin with good-quality buds.
2. Heat the buds in a 200-degree oven until they begin to ooze a clear, sticky substance called rosin. This typically takes less than a minute.
3. Scrape the rosin into a mason jar and close the lid. Shake the jar.
4. Place the mason jar in the 200-degree oven.
5. Heat the rosin until it turns into a liquid. The process normally takes 30 to 45 minutes.
6. Check the jar every few minutes. If you overcook the rosin, it won’t form into crystals. You’ll have to throw it out and start over.
7. Once the rosin is completely liquid, remove the jar from the oven.
8. Place the jar in a dark spot. A cabinet or closet is a good idea.
9. After one or two days, you’ll see the yellow-colored crystals at the bottom of the jar.
10. If you want to crush the crystals into powder, use a manual rosin press. Place the crystals in a micron bag and press them as many times as necessary to achieve a pure, white powder.
Oven-Free THCA Crystalline Recipe
To prepare crystals, this way, follow steps 1 to 5 in the regular recipe.
Afterward, place the jar in a dark, warm room. You can also place it on a heating pad. Over the next few days, you’ll see crystals dropping to the bottom of the jar. When the bottom of the jar is full of crystals and there’s a dark, liquid layer floating on top, the crystals are ready.
This could take anywhere from three days to two weeks.
It’s not difficult to make, but it requires a lot of rosin and a lot of time to produce even a small amount. If you plan to use it regularly, you’re probably better off buying it from a reputable seller.