Maybe you’ve heard about the powerful effects of THC dabs like rosin, wax, shatter or BHO, or maybe you’ve already tried them for yourself. These concentrates can range up to 90% THC, which means that you’ll usually only need a very small amount to enjoy a strong high. However, you don’t have to go to the dispensary to purchase a dab. You can make dab wax at home with the help of an everyday hair straightener!
Types of Dabs
There are a number of types of THC dabs, including the following:
- Shatter – a sticky, glass-like concentrate with high potency and a transparent appearance
- Budder – similar to nut butter, this is made of whipped resin or heated shatter
- Wax – less potent than shatter, dab wax is a sticky, wax-like product that packs a punch
- Resin – produced from cured trichomes, this sticky substance produces a strong high
- Rosin – solventless concentrate produced from cannabis flowers
- Oil or juice – liquid concentrates made for use in a vaporizer
When you learn how to make dab wax at home, you can create potent concentrates that let you get the most out of your cannabis.
How To Make Dab Wax
The easiest way to make your own dabs is the simple hair-straightener method. If you don’t have a straightener, you can use a clothes iron instead. Because there are no solvents involved, you don’t have to worry about flammability, and you are likely to already have the ingredients at home.
What You Need to Make Dab Wax
Prepare to make your dabs by gathering the following ingredients and equipment:
- Several grams of marijuana buds or kief
- Parchment paper
- Sharp knife or razor blade
- Hair straightener or clothes iron (best with digital temperature control)
- Kitchen scale
- Oven mitt
Steps to Make Dab Wax
- Grind up 1 or 2 grams of your cannabis flower. If you have kief on hand, this is even better, but regular bud will produce great results as well.
- Heat your hair straightener to the medium setting. If it has a temperature control, set it between 250 and 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place around a quarter of your ground cannabis on the parchment paper, then fold it in half. Keep the cannabis in the middle.
- Use the hair straightener to grip the folded parchment paper tightly. Press down as tightly as you can. You could use the hand with the oven mitt to press down even more.
- Hold it closed for 3 to 5 seconds. You should hear a sizzling sound.
- Release the hair straightener and put it aside. Open up the parchment paper, where you’ll find a spot of waxy resin left behind.
- Move the ground bud to another location on the parchment paper. Refold and press again for another 3 to 5 seconds. Repeat and relocate until you have gone through all of your ground cannabis and the parchment paper is spotted with thick, waxy dab concentrate.
- Use your razor blade to scrape the concentrate from the parchment paper. Now you’re ready to enjoy your dab!
With just a few useful home ingredients, you’ll be well on your way to exploring the world of dabbing.