One of the tastiest cannabis edibles is cannabutter. Simply put, this is butter that’s infused with cannabis. This is delicious spread on warm toast, whipped into mashed potatoes, or used to dress spicy chicken wings.
We’ll make this easy for you by going through a step by step how to make cannabutter aka hash butter recipe. The process begins with activating the THC in your plant material. This process is referred to as decarboxylation and involves baking marijuana in a low oven.
Be mindful of that when making this recipe and adjust the quantities as need per the strength of your cannabis strain. Feel free to double the ingredients for a larger yield.
How to Make Cannabutter AKA Hash Butter Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes + cooling time
Cook time: approximately 3-1/2 hours total
Serves: 4 to 6 people
-1 cup (2 sticks) butter
-1/2 ounce cannabis
-1-1/2 cups water
1. Preheat your oven to 240°F.
2. You need to start by activating the THC for ingesting, otherwise known as decarboxylation. Place your marijuana on a sheet pan. Place this in the oven and bake until the plant material become dry enough to crumble, approximately 40 minutes. Shake the pan every 10 minutes to rotate the cannabis.
3. Coarsely grind the cannabis in a coffee or spice grinder and set aside.
4. In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring the water to a boil. As soon as the water boils, add the butter and allow it to melt. Turn the heat down to low.
5. Stir in the cannabis and allow the mixture to simmer slowly until the butter is creamy and shiny, approximately 2-1/2 hours. Stir the mixture occasionally. Allow the butter to cool down so you can handle it.
6. Place 2 layers of cheesecloth over a glass or stainless steel bowl. Pour the infused butter through the cheesecloth into the bowl to strain it. Gently squeeze the cloth to get all the butter into the bowl. Tip: Don’t squeeze too hard so that you get too much of the plant matter that might taste bitter.
7. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for approximately 1 to 2 hours until the butter becomes solid on top of any excess water.
8. Run a knife around the edge of the butter to lift it out of the bowl and separate it from the water.
9. Place the butter on paper towels to remove any excess surface water. Store the butter in a sealed container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Now it’s time to reap the rewards of your efforts! Start with a small amount of the butter until you know exactly how strong it is. You can sauté vegetables in cannabutter, use it on hot baked potatoes, whisk it into sauces and gravy, spread it on bread, or melt it with herbs for having over pasta with some parmesan.
These are just a few ideas for enjoying THC infused butter. Enjoy!